How to Create a Joyful, Clutter-Free Bedroom
Sound appealing? The first step on the road to a joyful, clutter-free home is (you guessed it) giving clutter the boot. In this series, we’ll approach each room in the house from the perspective of identifying what sparks joy. Read on for the first installment, in which we tackle the bedroom.
What would a peaceful bedroom look and feel like to you? Consider whether there’s a certain color (like vivid turquoise) or object (like a vase of fresh flowers) that really brings to mind the mood you want to create. Only bring in objects with the intention of cultivating peaceful, restorative feelings.
- Use a linen spray or essential-oil diffuser with a relaxing scent like lavender or rose
- Keep a small vase of fresh flowers on your nightstand
- Do a few gentle stretches or yoga poses to help release the tensions of the day
- Take a warm bath with essential oils before bed
- Sip a cup of herbal tea and write in your journal
- Gradually dim the lights in your bedroom an hour before bed, ending with just a single candle before blowing it out and going to sleep